Our Wellbeing Dog-Elsie
Meet Elsie our wellbeing dog
Elsie is our lovely wellbeing dog who is working in our school as part of an on-going provision for wellbeing and mental health. Elsie lives with Miss Lee and comes in to school every day to be alongside the children.
What are the benefits of a school dog?
• Improved pupil behaviour and concentration,
• Reduces stress and improved self-esteem,
• A calming effect on pupils,
• Encourages expression, participation and confidence in all children,
• Fostering a sense of responsibility,
• Motivating pupils to think and to learn,
• Encouraging respect and thereby improving pupils' relationships with each other, parents and teachers,
• Teaching children to nurture and respect life,
• Helping work undertaken with the most vulnerable children,
• Helping overcome a fear of dogs,
• Increasing staff morale and wellbeing,
• Developing the understanding of unconditional love,
• Supporting with the development of cooperative play,
• Supporting children to develop empathy,
• Further promote our wellbeing agenda for pupils,
• Enthusiasm for and enjoyment of animals,
• Helping children build confidence in reading,
• Improving attendance.
How has the school planned for this?
• Rigorous research has been carried out to ensure that we have selected the most suitable breed of dog for our school, pupils and staff,
• Prior to purchasing Elsie, staff have visited the home of the breeder to ensure that the puppy's temperament, and that of its parents, is suitable for interaction with children,
• A full risk assessment and policy has been written and is available on the website,
• When Elsie begins working with the children, consent will be sought for each child to have contact,
• All contact will be carefully planned and children will not be left unsupervised with Elsie,
• When not working, the dog is based in one of the School Offices.
What about allergies?
• All areas of the school are vacuumed and surfaces are wiped down daily
• Movement around the school will be controlled
• Any child working with Elsie will wash their hands afterwards
• Elsie is a labradoodle. This breed is hypoallergenic!
Elsie's timetable for Spring 2 can be found here too so you can see how she benefits the children and what she gets up to during the school day.