Meet Elsie – our friendly, happy wellbeing dog
Elsie is a much loved, valued member of our school community. She works and supports children as part of our wellbeing and inclusion team. When Elsie is not at school she lives with Miss Lee, our Speech and Language HILTA. Elsie spends most of her time in the Office alongside Miss Yiannadji, Mrs Beresford, and Miss Potok-George.
Elsie is always ready to support children who may need some time with her to support their emotional, social, and mental wellbeing. She is often on the gate in the morning and at the end of the school day welcoming the children and their families. She loves nothing more than spending time visiting children around the school too!
- Improved behaviour and concentration, reduced stress and improved self-esteem.
- Encouraging expression, participation and confidence for all children.
- Fostering a sense of responsibility.
- Motivating pupils to think and to learn.
- Developing an enthusiasm for and enjoyment of animals.
- Encouraging respect and thereby improving pupils’ relationships with each other, parents and teachers.
- Teaching children to nurture and respect life.
- Helping work undertaken with the most vulnerable children.
- Helping children build confidence in reading.
- Improving attendance.
- Helping overcome a fear of dogs.
- Developing the understanding of unconditional love.
- Supporting with the development of cooperative play.
- Supporting children to develop empathy.
- Further promote our Well Being agenda for pupils.
- Rigorous research has been carried out to ensure that we have selected the most suitable breed of dog for our school, pupils and staff.
- Prior to selecting Elsie as a member of our team, senior members of staff visited the home of the breeder to ensure that her temperament, and that of her parents, was suitable for interaction with children.
- A full risk assessment and policy has been written and can be found within the policies section on the school website
- All contact will be carefully planned and children will not be left unsupervised with the Elsie.
- When not working, Elsie will be based with the senior leadership team in their office.
- Elsie is a Labradoodle, and the breed is hypoallergenic.
- All areas of the school are vacuumed, and surfaces are wiped down daily.
- Movement around the school will be controlled.
- Elsie will be regularly groomed.
- Any child working with Elsie will wash their hands after they have spent time with her.
Click here to view our Dogs in School Policy